What is manufactured pop?
- A manufactured pop artist/ band are usually created by a record company. They are created so that the companies make and keep most of the profit that is made from the artist’s music.
- Examples of manufactured pop artists are one direction, spice girls, Leona Lewis as they have been created by record companies to make profit.
- Talk about the conventions of a manufactured pop artist.
- Do they have a positive or negative impact on the industry?
- Are they what the audience prefers?
The power of television shows and reality television shows:
- Television shows such as the X factor and the voice create manufactured pop artists.
- These shows give us an insight on the process in which manufactured pop artists are created.
- Many manufactured pop artists come from reality television shows. For example, Olly Murs, Leona Lewis, One Direction, Kelly Clarkson and Girls Aloud.
- Do shows such as the X factor and the voice influence our choice in music?
- What makes the shows so popular? Maybe mention Uses and Gratifications theory? Are the shows a positive or negative for industry?
Different manufactured pop artists:
- Look at different manufactured pop artists and see how many of their singles/ albums have been sold.
- What makes them so popular?
- From this it could maybe give an idea of whether or not manufactured pop artists are a good or bad thing.
The power of institutions:
- Have a look at the music companies and see what they control.
- How much control they have over what we see?
- Look at different music companies and see what types of artists they have. If they have any manufactured pop artist I will try and see how much money is made and how much profit the music companies make.
- Also, look at the artists from different genres and see how much money they make and how much profit the companies make.
- Compare the different artists.
- Go and to talk about whether manufactured pop is a positive or negative thing for the industry.
Positive or negative thing for the industry:
- Conclusion: I will talk about whether or not manufactured pop artists are positive or negative for the music industry and I will include facts and information to show whether or now it is a good or bad thing.